Volunteer Job Description
Field Trip Assistant
variable, depending on season and field
Assist SABO naturalist in ensuring a
safe, enjoyable, and educational experience for participants in weekly
bird walks and other field trips:
- Check in arriving participants
and direct them to resources (parking, restroom, etc.)
participants in locating and identifying birds.
participants to keep group together and avoid leaving anyone behind.
- Share responsibility for carrying and sharing field guide(s)
and SABO's spotting scope.
- Share responsibility for maintaining
trip checklist and posting reports to SABO's Web site, eBird, listserv,
- commitment to ethical, responsible birding
and people-management skills
- basic bird identification skills
and knowledge of common local birds
- ability to walk/hike 2 to 4
hours over varied terrain (including trails
that may be steep and/or rocky) while carrying a tripod with spotting
- attention to detail and accuracy
- knowledge of
first aid and other fauna, flora, and history of southeastern Arizona
For more information on this volunteer position, please contact SABO.